APPENDIX TO CHAPTERS 24-2]
We append here an analysis of the farewell
discourse and accompanying prayer.
Part I--John xiii. 31-xiv. 31.
Div. I--Words of comfort to disciples as
children, ten (or at most thirteen) sentences in all:-
1. Frst word, xiii. 34,35:Love one another in my
2. Second word, xiv 1-4: Have faith in God and in
me. I will be looking after your interest while absent, and will come for
3. Third word, xiv. 15-18: Even while away I will
be with you per the Holy Spirit (19-21, enlargement).
Div. II--Children's questions with the
1. Peter's question, xiii. 36-38: Whither goest
2. Thomas's question, xiv. 5-7: How can we know
3. Philip's request, xiv. 8-14: Show us the
4. Judas's question, xiv. 22-24: How cast Thou
appear to us and not to the world?
PART II--John xv., xvi: Dying charge to the
future apostles (style changed).
1. Allegory of the Vine, xv. 1-16: The apostles
Christ's means of working in the world. They work through His life dwelling in
2. Apostolic tribulations and encouragements, xv.
18-27, xvi 1-15: The world will hate, but the Spirit will convince the world,
and enlighten them.
3. The little while, and end of discourse, xvi.
16-33: Paradox of seeing and not seeing = physical absence, but spiritual
PART III--John xvii: Intercessory prayer.
1. Prays for Himself, vers. 1-5.
2. Prays for disciples, vers. 6-19.
3. Prays for Church, vers. 20-23.
4. Conclusion of prayer, vers. 24-26.
This document (last modifiedSeptember 17, 1997) from Believerscafe.com
Home | Bible versions | Bible Dictionary | Christian Classics | Christian Articles | Daily Devotions
Sister Projects: Wikichristian | WikiMD
BelieversCafe is a large collection of christian articles with over 40,000 pages